Monday, August 15, 2011

Back on the road

We spent a couple of weeks back in Nashville; time to get a ton of washing done and slip back into our normal daily routine. 
We lead an extremely quiet life at home. Steve cooks a big breakfast every morning then after checking his email he will work on music on and off the rest of the day.
We did manage to fit in some of our walks to the store, the trail near us runs almost parallel to the main road but it winds along the edge of a golf course and you quickly feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Time to reflect on the last twelve weeks of the tour, some of it seemed like a dream already. 

The US leg was only going to be three weeks away so the packing could be downsized, we really went mad and actually got things down to two small carry on sized main cases.
Now, I am out here on the road and running out of things to wear, ha ha so much for that plan!

First show was Billings Montana, not a large venue but important for everybody; band and crew all needing to get back into gear. The audience was great and a good night was had by all.

This leg was going to be all bus travel, we would be criss crossing the East Coast and Mid West.
I already knew I would have some trouble sleeping on the bus from the last time so this time I was ready with various strategies to deal with it.
I eventually decided that Melatonin was a good way to go although I have a stronger alternative if things get out of hand. Being overtired is not good on a busy show day, we all depend on each other to be on the case and so far this leg things are way better (:

On the subject of depending on each other I want to give a little mention about Steve's guitar tech Brian. He has worked hard to find ways to help my man deal with the various problems that crop up with being partially sighted in a live situation . It takes ingenuity to find strategies for a problem that is out of the norm for any tech and he is doing a fantastic job, I thank him for that.

Steve with Brian

Next up Buffalo Chip and a whole bunch of Harley Motorbikes and leather!

When I woke up in my bunk the next day I had no idea what a change of scenery would unfold in front of me outside. We were in Sturgis, South Dakota and it was simply stunning.
Miles of trees and huge jutting rocks, it reminded me of the grandness of Sedona in AZ, a place we would move to if we ever won the lottery!

We were also surrounded by motorbikes of every color and size you can imagine. All lovingly cared for by their owners and admired by their fellow owners. There were leather clad peeps everywhere! Again, all shapes, sizes, colors and functions.

Steve and I were hungry for some breakfast so we walked across the grass from the hotel lodge to the restaurant. As we passed by the bikes and owners we almost wanted to hop on one and ride off into the distance. That's what they could do, just take off and glide their way through the beautiful open landscape.    

Exactly at the same time that we walked in through the front door, another couple were doing the same thing and that morning we were lucky enough to make two new friends. 

Dave and Sue each have their own Harley motorbikes, Dave has that weathered biker look, almost like he was carved from the surrounding scenery, very tanned with sparkling eyes and an easy smile. Sue is warm, open and easy to talk to.

After having breakfast together we went to look at their Harley's; they were magnificent, with a glittered finish on the paint work, they were more like moving works of art.
Dave offered to take Steve for a ride down through the ravine, this was a thrill for someone who has always dreamed of owning and riding a Harley but who has had to come to terms with the fact that this would be impossible with such poor sight.

However, Steve does intend to own one someday and says he will park it in the living room, yay!

When they came back 15 minutes later it was my turn. Oh my goodness what an experience! The power of that bike was awesome. Dave wound his way down through the rocks alongside a small river, it was a thrill as he did a couple of bursts of high speed. The wind seemed to press my face flat, the engine roared and  I envied the freedom the two of them must feel when they go traveling.

Ironic that Steve and I were in awe of them as they rode around the country on these amazing machines and in turn they were in awe of us as we travelled around in our own sort of machine, albeit a rock band!

They came to the show that night, we were very happy to return the favor of giving them an experience they did not expect, but for us, that day was unforgettable. 

Dave, Steve and Sue

After the show

No comments:

Post a Comment